Dried Lavender Chest Reveal

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!  We enjoyed our family time together, although I have to admit I am glad to get back to “normal” today.  Christmas day started nice and early in our house, so we were all quite tired.

DSC05991

Before the holiday got into full swing, I was able to finish the antique chest of drawers I told you about in my last post.  Yesterday, with the help of my visiting mom, I hauled it inside to grab some staged photos before taking it up to my space at ACM.

Here is what it looked like before.

1471357_426152777484991_339081250_n

It was a beautiful piece, but was really scraped up and super dirty.  I decided to go with a new color for it, MMS Milk Paint in Dried Lavender, because it just called for something feminine.

DSC05967

The top was sanded down and got a new coat of stain, and here is the final product after another coat of milk paint and some finishing touches.

DSC06156

The milk paint went on really well with this piece, and I didn’t do any sanding to prep. For whatever reason I did have some trouble with one side chipping way too much.

DSC05968

But I just sanded it down with some fine grit paper, and painted two more coats on that area.  This time, the paint stuck without a problem.

DSC06181

I really like the smoky purple of the Dried Lavender, and how it plays well against the freshly stained top.

DSC06191

Speaking of the top, it was one solid piece of wood, which is the first time I have found that in a piece.  Usually everything I work on has a top coat of veneer.  It re-stained beautifully.

DSC06162

I highlighted a few areas with a very watered down wash of MMS Ironstone, just to give some added depth.

DSC06169

DSC06174

It had enough stunning detail on it already that I didn’t do any distressing, besides the sides of the drawers and a few places where the milk paint naturally resisted.

DSC06158

DSC06186

It was a great piece to work on and I hope that it will find its new home soon.

Now back to catching up on laundry, dishes, and all that other stuff that was set aside during the holiday!

Linking up to :

Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home

 

DIY Show Off

Read more at http://diyshowoff.com/2013/12/29/diy-party-2/#Qqwjc71dEKPsS2Te.99

Mod Vintage Life

e2120-silver_pennies_button

Between Naps on the Porch

Savvy Southern Style

/Furniture Feature Fridays

Advertisements

Two-Tone Chest of Drawers

I finished one of my projects! Yay!! It is such a great feeling to mark something completely off of your list.  This week started out a little rough because of a nasty cold we had going around our house.  But after a trip to the doctor, some antibiotics, and some Benadryl everyone is feeling better, and more importantly, napping better.

So, before we get going with pictures, I have to admit a blogging fail.  I forgot to take a before picture of this great antique chest of drawers.  I was planning to use  some pictures that were emailed to me by the seller, but in an effort to de-crazy my inbox I must have deleted them.  Ughh.  Sorry.

I will tell you a little about the piece though. It was a find on Craigslist, being sold by a lady who had received it as a gift from her ex-boyfriend (note–people selling things from their ex’s are often willing to make you a good deal just to get it gone).  It was quite creaky and really very primitive, but the finish was overall in good shape.  It did have a trim piece on the top I decided to remove because it just didn’t fit right, and it needed two new drawer bottoms.

DSC05553

I decided to give it a two-toned look by keeping the excellent finish on the drawers and painting the rest in MMS Artissimo (I am LOVING that color).

DSC05548

I gave it a light sanding all over, just to help the paint stick.  Milk paint can be a little unpredictable though, and this piece is a great example. It ended up going on more like a wash or stain.  After the first coat I really liked the imperfections in the coloring and decided it fit the primitive feel of the chest well. So one coat and done.

While the paint was curing up, I set to work on the drawer bottoms.  I measured the drawers and went to Home Depot to find some replacement wood (do I get extra points for having all 3 kids with me during this process?)  I was helped by a wonderful Home Depot employee who cut two pieces to size for me at the store.

The drawers have a curved front though, so they needed a slight trim.  I took out one of the old damaged drawer bottoms and used it as a guide to trace the curve of the front.

DSC05609

Any Lego Chima fans out there?

Then I used my hubby’s jigsaw to cut the curves.

DSC05613

Again, bonus points for doing it by myself!

I slid the new bottoms into place, nailed them into the back drawer piece, reinforced the joints with wood glue, and let them set overnight.  On this day my two youngest kids were in a Benadryl induced super-nap, so it was a productive afternoon.

DSC05615

Now that the drawers were done, it was just a matter of giving the chest’s body a coat of clear wax.  It did this awesome thing where it gave the milk paint some great depth and brought the wood tone through.

DSC05550

On went the awesome knobs I found at Hobby Lobby …

DSC05560

And here is the final product:

DSC05620

DSC05630

DSC05643

It’s quite elegant and grown-up.  Here is a closer look at the imperfect, wash-look:

DSC05658

DSC05640

I’m having a hard time letting it go . . . I really like the way it looks in my house.  I would like to introduce some darker blues into my living room, so I’m considering using it to replace my Henry Link chest that’s in my entry.

DSC04133

One will have to go, I’m gonna sit on it a few days and think it over.

Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up Domestically Speaking Power of Paint

and

Savvy Southern Style Wow us Wednesday

and

Miss Mustard Seed FFF

and

and

Elizabeth and Co.

and

and

Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home

Wonderful at Home